By Lambert Strether of Corrente
I am seriously under the weather, hacking up little bits of lung, and so this Water Cooler will be shorter than it should be. –lambert
Herd on the Street
Dow 18,000 triumph [Bloomberg].
S&P mulls junk rating for Russian sovereign credit outlook, as Central Bank to help leading exporteres refinance foreign debts [Reuters].
South Korea indicts Uber CEO Travis Kalanick [Fortune].
5 takeaways from Jeb Bush emails [CNN]. If the article is to be believed, there’s only one: There’s no story here.
Warren’s war against Wall Street [David Ignatius, WaPo]. The congealed conventional wisdom.
“[N]ot much about Clinton that is bold or transformative” [Times-Picayune].
What surprises about Warren is how conservative she is [Shreveport Times].
Black Injustice Tipping Point
Giuliani: “A short man in search of a balcony” [Will Bunch, Philadelphia Inquirer].
Fatal Cop Shooting of Teen in Berkeley, Missouri Sparks Clashes [NBC].
A grand jury has decided not to indict a Houston police officer in the January killing of an unarmed black man, according to a local ABC News affiliate [The Hill].
Ashley Yates, co-creator of Millennial Activists United: “So our level of commitment is what you would do to fight for your life” [Rolling Stone].
New York protesters reject DeBlasio’s plea for a hiatus [Reuters].
Jobless claims, week of December 20, 2014: Fell 9,000, down slightly month-on-month [Bloomberg]. “[H]ealthy conditions in the labor market.”
Consumer comfort index, week of December 21, 2014: Seven year high on gas, employment gains [Bloomberg].
Rapture Index: Down 1 on global turmoil [Rapture Ready].
Is wage stagnation the new normal? [Brookings]. Yeah, for a generation. Are these people from another planet?
Unemployment can be bad for your health [New York Times].
Comcast hands out “priority assistance” cards to Washington influencers who complain about service [Washingtonian].
News of the Wired
- My mother’s generation—the Gloria Steinem generation of equal opportunity feminists—had fought and failed to create a system for working mothers, i.e., affordable day care for infants and toddlers, preschool for kids, and aftercare for school-age children [CalAlumni]. And that’s what stalled the gender revolution.
- “Death Row Guard Has Always Had Soft Spot For The Innocent Ones” [The Onion].
- Seattle Police hackathon on “redacting” bodycam videos [Geekwire].
- The Idiot’s Guide to Cricket Writing [ESPN].
- Geographical distribution of “dude,” “bro,” etc., with handy map [Quartz]. Not in New England, pal!
- Plato, Sartre, Derrida and other philosphers explained through 8-bit video games [Open Culture].
- Impacts of the tsunami in Indonesia, ten years on [New Statesman].
Readers, feel free to contact me with (a) links, and even better (b) sources I should curate regularly, and (c) to find out how to send me images of plants. Vegetables are fine! Fungi are deemed to be honorary plants! See the previous Water Cooler (with plant) here. And here’s today’s plant (MM):
Readers, naughty and/or nice, I’m still feeling more than a little angst over fuel, now that the heating season in Maine is upon me, so any help you can give will be appreciated! Thanks to you, I am still just half a tank ahead. I would like to be a full tank ahead!
If you enjoy Water Cooler, please consider tipping and click the hat:
Talk amongst yourselves!