By Lambert Strether of Corrente
Readers, by the time you see this, I will have been travelling down to Portland on the bus for the meetup for an hour or so, and I will not have had time to put a full Water Cooler together. That’s the second time this week, and I’m sorry; I hope these photos are pretty enough to be a substitute. I took them last night as the sun was about to go down.
This year, both from accident and intention, I’ve ended up focusing far less on vegetables and far more on flowers (which aren’t that easy to photograph; it’s always as if they have adapted to catch the slightest breeze).
1) This is a volunteer. I don’t know what the heck it is!
2) My tomato plants are not all scrawny!
3) Self-seeded sunflower (of which I have many, many).
4) Self-seeded borage, ditto.
5) Beach roses, invasive and thorny, but with a lovely scent.
6) Front garden, showing perhaps a dozen species and illustrating the general theory: Masses of color, as in a “grandmother’s garden.” The sunflowers, borage, and roses (as well as Black-eyed Susans, bee balm, raspberries, and honeysuckle, not shown) and even the tomatoes are all simple, vernacular flowering plants massed for color, and not showy individuals (set off with bark mulch, yeeech). Bees love all of them, and the environment is nice for sitting. That’s the theory.
Maybe some other time I’ll take more photos that show the general effect, but first I have to do some weeding (that is, remove plants I don’t want).
Talk amongst yourselves!
Readers, feel free to contact me at lambert [UNDERSCORE] strether [DOT] corrente [AT] yahoo [DOT] com, with (a) links, and even better (b) sources I should curate regularly, (c) how to send me a check if you are allegic to PayPal, and (d) to find out how to send me images of plants. Vegetables are fine! Fungi are deemed to be honorary plants! See the previous Water Cooler (with plant) here. All today’s plants are above!
NOTE Readers, if you want your handle to appear as a credit, please put it in the subject line. Otherwise, I will anonymize by using your initials. Thank you!
Readers, Water Cooler is a standalone entity, not supported by the Naked Capitalism fundraisers. Please use the dropdown to choose your contribution, and then click the hat! Your tip will be welcome today, and indeed any day. Water Cooler will not exist without your continued help.