Jerri-Lynn here: Yves again thanks readers for their interest in her progress.
The short version is:
1. The Hospital for Special Surgery is a phenomenal hospital. Nurses normally come in less than 5 mins when called, at worst, 10 mins at shift change time. The same MDs check up on her. She sees 3 most days, an MD on the surgeon’s team, later the surgeon, and in the PM a more generalist MD (the same one who did her pre-op testing).
2. The procedure was trouble-free. She has no memory of the procedure.
3. She was released from the recovery room in record time. Staff on duty couldn’t recall another double hip case being transferred to a regular room the same day
4. She has no pain except for a bound-up back which big time interfered early on with required sleeping on her back and normal soreness when trying to walk. The staff is a bit mystified about her lack of pretty much any pain at the 2 incision sites. particularly given the terrible condition of her hips prior to surgery.
5. However, she is frustrated by how little she can do now. She is staying in NYC longer than originally planned and will remain in NYC until late next week, not due to any lack of progress with her recovery (her surgeon had actually wanted her to stay in NYC for two weeks) but rather due to her failure so far to find PTs in Alabama who will come to her house.
ESCAPING INTO BRITISH HUMOR IS THE PERFECT BALM Crime Reads. I adore Wodehouse, not only for the laughs and the madcap plots but also for his limpid prose.
Some Thoughts on the Common Toad. Berfrois. George Orwell. From 1946; still germane.
Four Moptop Yobbos London Review of Books
The Crystal Hunters of Chamonix Outside
MTA bus lodged into Brooklyn brownstone turns into oddball attraction NY Post. Just a half block away from where we live.
SOCIETYCOVID-19 Deaths: Who Wasn’t Counted? Capital & Main
Let the Apes Have Wall Street TK News. Matt Taibbi.
There is no competing with China without a competent state, and a state that cannot tax its powerful is not a competent state. https://t.co/lJoeLIYkkN
— Matt Stoller (@matthewstoller) June 10, 2021
Hackers steal 26 MILLION logins for Amazon, Apple, Facebook and other tech giants after targeting PCs and making off with payment information from three million devices in latest major security breach Daily Mail
Big Brother IS Watching You Watch
How I Lost Control Over My Own Face Der Spiegel
TikTok changed the shape of some people’s faces without asking MIT Technology Review
What to expect when Biden meets Erdogan Asia Times
“People Collected Severed Arms, Legs and Heads” Der Spiegel
UN says 350,000 face famine in Tigray, millions in danger Deutsche Welle
China’s anti-sanctions law ‘can target individuals, families, organisations’m South China Morning Post
Here was the contrived liberal outrage over Trump’s indisputably accurate comments that the US commits very similar crimes to those attributed to Putin. The outrage over Rep. Omar’s similar remarks – coming from neocons & some Dems – is just as dishonest:https://t.co/BevuJcXlk4
— Glenn Greenwald (@ggreenwald) June 10, 2021
Antidote du Jour (via):
And a bonus video (The Rev Kev):
See yesterday’s Links and Antidote du Jour here.