These ants decorate their homes with the heads of their enemies National Geographic
Pistachio Wars: The Back Story Yasha Levine
Facebook’s Very Bad Month Just Got Worse The New Yorker. “The documents also reveal that, in 2015, a permissions update for Android devices, which users were required to accept, included a feature that continuously uploaded text messages and call logs to Facebook.” Holy moley. That’s some feature.
Occupy Jamie Dimon: Activists Are Chasing the Billionaire Across the U.S. Bloomberg. Much better than accosting politicians at dinner.
Why isn’t Investment More Sensitive to Interest Rates: Evidence from Surveys (PDF) Steve A. Sharpe and Gustavo A. Suarez, Divisions of Research & Statistics and Monetary Affairs, Federal Reserve Board. From 2014, still germane.
Italian Police Make Major Arrests Linked to Sicilian Mob Courthouse News
ANALYSIS: The yellow rebellion is threatening to engulf France – Macron must act The Local (France).
What are their demands? Thread:
The #GiletsJaunes #YellowVest movement consulted 30,000 of their people about why they were demonstrating and what changes they wanted the government to make. Here’s the list of the demands they sent to the French government:
1. Housing for all homeless people
2. A more…
— 🤷🏼♀️Doves (@dovesandletters) December 5, 2018
Millennials in China Are Using Nudes to Secure Loans Vice (UserFriendly).
Chinese hospital compensates man put off operating table and sent to pay US$2,200 bill South China Morning Post. Impressive.
Indonesian authorities release preliminary Lion Air crash report Leeham Air (SS). SS writes:
Like all catastrophes, it aint just one thing.
1. Boeing adds a new safety system (MCAS) to cover up the fact that the new 737Max doesn’t fly the same as the older 737s, and doesn’t’ disclose the new safety system. They don’t want airlines to have to re-certify pilots on the new plane (“Any 737 cert pilot can fly the 737MAX”).
2. Lion air pilots fly this plane for an entire flight with the Angle of Attack (AOA) sensor mafling, don’t return to base, don’t adequately describe the problem in logs. They also had runaway trim due to the AOA failure.
3. Lion air follows Boeing reccs for repair of the AOA sensor but don’t test fly it. AOA won’t come active until it is flown, and it fails again in the next fatal flight.
4. Something else unknown happens as the pilots are struggling against the new MCAS system that deployed incorrectly based on the bad AOA sensor data.
5. 189 people die.
Man, modern airplanes are complicated. I’m an engineer and I can barely read this report. I”m sure we are ready for self driving cars running on black box AI.
31 pct of elderly people land low-wage jobs after retirement Yonhap News Agency
New Cold War
U.S. Moves to Defy Russia Through Navy Operation US News (J-LS).
As Dead as a Doornail Handle The Blogmire. The Skripals case.
Inside the Sunrise Movement (it didn’t happen by accident) E&E News (MR). My concerns are somewhat eased, though it’s certainly odd to see this reporting in a trade magazine.
Our Famously Free Press
Democrats in Disarray
Sorry to Bother You The Baffler
Imperial Collapse Watch
The Dirty Secrets of George Bush Rolling Stone. From 1988, still germane.
Not-So-Funhouse Mirrors Inside Higher Ed
Global Wage Report 2018/19 (IPDF) International Labor Organization (UserFriendly).
‘My life is spent in this car’: Uber drives its Indian workers to despair Guardian (Re Silc).
Teaching Civil Procedure with Political Economy in Mind Law and Political Economy
Antidote du jour (via):
These ducks experience snow for the first time and are not impressed 😂 pic.twitter.com/unODj1gD5A
— laney (@misslaneym) December 3, 2018
See yesterday’s Links and Antidote du Jour here.